Gorecki, Brown lead No. 15 Duke women past Va. Tech 86-75
Womens College Headlines
- No. 16 Missouri women beat Missouri State 65-61
- Rutgers coach Stringer joins 1,000 career win club
- No. 13 Iowa women beat Western Kentucky 104-67
- No. 23 California women use big 4th quarter to top BYU 70-52
- No. 11 Texas women beat North Texas 64-54 in coaching duel
- No. 1 Irish start slow, finish fast in beating Penn 75-55
- Minnesota enters women's AP Top 25, top 5 remain unchanged
- Rutgers women's basketball coach Stringer nearing 1,000 wins
- Whalen gets first win, and C. Vivian Stringer picks up 999th
- No. 4 Baylor beats No. 23 Arizona State on the Rez
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) Haley Gorecki scored a career-high 28 points, Lexie Brown added 23 to surpass 1,000 for her career and No. 15 Duke defeated Virginia Tech 86-75 on Thursday night.
Gorecki made 7 of 10 3-pointers while Brown reached 1,000 points in 53 games, the second-fastest in history for the Blue Devils (15-4, 4-2 ACC), who won their fourth straight. Brown has 1,013 points with Duke and 1,841 for her career, which includes two seasons at Maryland.
Taylor Emery had 30 points, going 6 of 8 from 3-point range, to lead the Hokies (13-6, 2-4). Alexis Jean had 17 points and Regan Magarity had 13 rebounds to go with six points.
Emery had 17 points in the first half to help Virginia Tech tie the Blue Devils at 37.
Duke went 9 of 10 to start the third quarter and Gorecki had three 3s and a 3-point play. The Blue Devils ended up 12 of 16, including 4 of 6 from distance, to outscore Virginia Tech 31-18, their biggest quarter of the season. Virginia Tech never cut the deficit to single figures in the fourth quarter.
Updated January 18, 2018