Blue Jays name veteran LHP Happ as opening day starter
- Braves claim 1st NL East title since '13
- Yanks top O's in 11 to clinch wild card
- A's walk-off Twins again, magic number 1
- Cubs beat ChiSox to extend Central lead
- Brewers blanked, wild-card lead cut to 2
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) J.A. Happ has been picked to start opening day for the Toronto Blue Jays.
Manager John Gibbons said Tuesday that the 35-year-old left-hander will face the New York Yankees and right-hander Luis Severino on March 29. Happ went 10-11 with a 3.53 ERA in 25 starts last season.
Entering spring training, Marcus Stroman was expected to get the opening day assignment, but he was slowed by right shoulder inflammation. Stroman will start the finale of the four-game series against the Yankees.
Aaron Sanchez will start the second game, followed by Marco Estrada. Jaime Garcia will be the Blue Jays' fifth starter.
More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball
Updated March 20, 2018