David Beckham's team named Inter Miami, still lacks stadium
European Football Headlines
- Russian club drops 2 players after Instagram poem dispute
- North Carolina goes to NWSL final with 2-0 win over Chicago
- Eye for goal: Firmino recovers to seal Liverpool win vs PSG
- Rio to host Copa America final; Sao Paulo gets opener
- Messi scores another hat trick, Mbappe's mistake sinks PSG
- Pulisic back to shoot Dortmund to 1-0 win on 20th birthday
- Porto earns 1-1 draw at Schalke in Champions League opener
- Messi scores record 8th Champions League hat trick
- Mourinho asks players to be like Federer ahead of Swiss game
- Inter marks Champs League return with win over Tottenham
LONDON (AP) David Beckham's Major League Soccer team will be called Inter Miami.
The former Manchester United midfielder wants the club to start playing in 2020 but it lacks a stadium after years trying to find a site in Miami.
The club's full name is "Club Internacional de Futbol Miami."
Beckham says it "celebrates the incredible energy of one of the most exciting cities in the world - one that is diverse, passionate and ambitious - a city that has welcomed me and so many others, so warmly."
But it will be up to Miami voters to decide in a referendum later this year whether back plans for a 25,000-seat stadium on city land now occupied by a golf course.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 5, 2018