AP PHOTOS: Summer in host city means ice cream at every turn
European Football Headlines
- Pulisic captains US in Sarachan finale, 1-0 loss to Italy
- How to qualify for soccer's 2020 European Championship
- Newcomer Kosovo secures playoff spot in Euro 2020 qualifying
- World champion France beats Uruguay to cap successful year
- Neymar picks up apparent groin injury during Brazil friendly
- France forward Mbappe injured vs. Uruguay
- UEFA looks again at video review in Champions League
- Greece investigates display of Nazi symbols at Estonia game
- US to play Costa Rica on Feb. 2 at San Jose, California
- UEFA, Europe's top clubs dismiss threat of new competitions
By NATACHA PISARENKO and PETR JOSEK
NIZHNY NOVGOROD, Russia (AP) Summer in the World Cup host city of Nizhny Novgorod has brought a small army of ice cream vendors stationing themselves seemingly everywhere. Standing side-by-side on street corners and tucked into leafy parks. Outside the soccer stadium and a museum showcasing Soviet-era tanks. By the entrance to the gondola on the bank of the Volga River. By the gondola exit in the city of Bor on the other side.
The short Russian summer and the monthlong tournament will soon come to an end. In the meantime, the stands will still offer their classic flavors alongside varieties as brightly colored as the nearby flowerbeds.
Updated July 12, 2018