AP PHOTOS: Summer in host city means ice cream at every turn
European Football Headlines
- Ronaldo sent off but Juventus goes on to win 2-0 at Valencia
- Real Madrid starts life after Ronaldo with 3-0 win vs Roma
- Renato Sanches scores on his Benfica return as Bayern wins
- CSKA penalty salvages late point v Plzen in Champions League
- Champions League's youngest coach starts with a draw
- Pogba scores 2 in Man United's 3-0 win at Young Boys
- Man City humbled in 2-1 loss to Lyon in Champions League
- Ronaldo sent off in 1st Champions League game with Juventus
- Ireland teams up with UK nations' 2030 World Cup bid plans
- Tagliafico scores twice as Ajax beats AEK Athens 3-0
By NATACHA PISARENKO and PETR JOSEK
NIZHNY NOVGOROD, Russia (AP) Summer in the World Cup host city of Nizhny Novgorod has brought a small army of ice cream vendors stationing themselves seemingly everywhere. Standing side-by-side on street corners and tucked into leafy parks. Outside the soccer stadium and a museum showcasing Soviet-era tanks. By the entrance to the gondola on the bank of the Volga River. By the gondola exit in the city of Bor on the other side.
The short Russian summer and the monthlong tournament will soon come to an end. In the meantime, the stands will still offer their classic flavors alongside varieties as brightly colored as the nearby flowerbeds.
Updated July 12, 2018