Atlanta United draws crowds, signs Bocanegra to 4-year deal
European Football Headlines
- West Ham United-Stoke City Preview
- Crystal Palace-Leicester City Preview
- Swansea City-Everton Preview
- Liverpool-Bournemouth Preview
- Manchester United-West Brom Preview
- Tottenham Hotspur-Manchester City Preview
- Southampton-Chelsea Preview
- Newcastle United-Arsenal Preview
- Huddersfield Town-Watford Preview
- Burnley-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta United has signed technical director Carlos Bocanegra to a four-year contract extension through 2022 and added the title of vice president.
Bocanegra was rewarded Monday for building a high-scoring roster that already qualified for the playoffs in United's debut season. The team will set a Major League Soccer season attendance record, averaging more than 46,000.
Atlanta is the first expansion team to qualify for the playoffs since 2009 and only the second since 1998.
A longtime member of the U.S. national team, Bocanegra retired as a player in 2014. He was hired by United the following year and assembled a roster that includes Josef Martinez, Miguel Almiron and Tito Villalba, who have combined to score 40 goals - more than four MLS teams.
Updated October 9, 2017