Royer scores twice as Red Bulls beat LAFC 2-1
European Football Headlines
- Usain Bolt trains for 1st time with Central Coast Mariners
- Red Bulls, NYCFC go at it one more time this year
- Australia confirms friendly against South Korea
- Atletico Madrid and Valencia open Spanish season with draw
- Salah sets up 2 goals, Liverpool beats Palace 2-0 in EPL
- Witsel, Reus score late as Dortmund win in German Cup
- Bravo faces long spell out with foot injury
- Gomez inspires Atalanta to 4-0 win over Frosinone in Serie A
- FIFA announces exit of longtime legal director Villiger
- FIFA lifts threat to suspend Nigeria from world soccer
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer scored two goals to help the New York Red Bulls beat Los Angeles FC 2-1 on Sunday night.
New York has won four of its last five.
Royer tapped home a pass from Bradley Wright-Phillips to give the Red Bulls (14-6-2) the lead for good in the 80th minute. Wright-Phillips ran onto a long, arcing pass from Marc Rzatkowski at the top of the box, took a couple dribbles and fed Royer for a first-timer into an open net.
Royer opened the scoring in the 39th. Michael Murillo's shot from the right side was stopped by goalkeeper Tyler Miller, but the rebound rolled to Royer - who had tripped over a defender and fallen - for the finish from point-blank range.
Diego Rossi put away a feed, which slipped between two defenders, from Carlos Vela to make it 1-1 in the 53rd.
LAFC (10-6-6) is winless in its last four games.
Updated August 5, 2018