NYCFC snaps Montreal Impact's 4-game win streak 3-0
European Football Headlines
- FIFA bans head of Afghan soccer after allegations by players
- 2 French league matches postponed at request of authorities
- Japan star Honda's soccer passion showing in Australia
- FC Cincinnati roster takes shape in MLS expansion draft
- Mary Harvey goes from soccer champ to human rights leader
- Atletico finishes CL group 2nd after 0-0 draw at Club Brugge
- Inter out of Champions League despite 1-1 draw against PSV
- Tottenham advances to CL round of 16 after 1-1 draw at Barca
- English teams edge Italians to advance in Champions League
- Alisson heroics ensure Liverpool through in Champions League
NEW YORK (AP) Ronald Matarrita had a goal and an assist to lead New York City FC to a 3-0 victory over the Montreal Impact on Wednesday night.
Matarrita entered as a substitute in the 62nd minute. Three minutes later, his chip caught Montreal goalkeeper Evan Bush out of position and found its way to the side netting to make it 2-0.
Maturita assisted on Jonathan Lewis' first MLS goal in the 76th minute, which was a header that glanced in off the right post.
Jesus Medina opened the scoring in the 60th minute with a left-footed smash from 20 yards out as NYCFC (11-4-4) snapped the Impact's four-game winning streak.
City remained unbeaten at home this season (9-0-1), with six of those wins coming via shutout. The Impact, which has been shut out seven times this season, dropped to 2-9-0 on the road and 8-12-0 overall.
Updated July 11, 2018