Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Champions League final: Salah challenges Ronaldo's supremacy
- Ramos critical of holding Champions League final in Kiev
- Greek champion AEK signs Ouzounidis as coach
- Fasting or not, Klopp says Salah 'full of power'
- Young players try to replace Spain's old guard at World Cup
- Germany's 'golden generation' primed for World Cup defense
- WORLD CUP: Gazza's tears help relaunch English soccer
- 2 detained over brawl before Champions League final
- D.C. United-Los Angeles FC Preview
- Rapids hope to right ship vs. surging Timbers
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018