Tinnerholm, Villa help NYCFC beat Galaxy 2-1
European Football Headlines
- Rio to host Copa America final; Sao Paulo gets opener
- Firmino strikes late to give Liverpool 3-2 victory over PSG
- Messi scores another hat trick, Mbappe's mistake sinks PSG
- Pulisic back to shoot Dortmund to 1-0 win on 20th birthday
- Porto earns 1-1 draw at Schalke in Champions League opener
- Messi scores record 8th Champions League hat trick
- Mourinho asks players to be like Federer ahead of Swiss game
- Inter marks Champs League return with win over Tottenham
- Galatasaray beats Lokomotiv on return to Champions League
- Red Star holds Napoli to 0-0 draw in Champions League
NEW YORK (AP) Anton Tinnerholm had his first MLS goal and David Villa scored another to help New York City FC beat the Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 on Sunday.
Tinnerholm blasted a left-footed volley to give NYCFC (2-0-0) the lead in the 22nd minute. Villa's cross, off a feed from Jesus Medina, deflected high off Michael Ciani and Tinnerholm, a 27-year-old defender from Sweden, rifled it off the crossbar.
Sean Johnson made a diving save of a sliding half-volley by Ola Kamara in the 27th and Villa made it 2-0 in the 33rd. Medina, on a counter-attack breakaway, touched it around a defender and then fed a left-footed cross to Ben Sweatt, whose shot from near the spot was stopped by a charging David Bingham. Villa tapped the rebound into the open net.
Jonathan dos Santos, from point-blank range, re-directed a cross from Emmanuel Boateng past Johnson to cap the scoring in the 60th.
New York City, which has lost just two regular-season home matches since June 2, 2016, outshot the Galaxy (1-1-0) 20-7.
Updated March 11, 2018