Rossi scores twice, LAFC rout Real Salt Lake 5-1
European Football Headlines
- United States tops FIFA women's rankings, England No. 2
- Vancouver tries to extend home unbeaten streak vs. LA
- D.C. United, Crew cope with call-ups
- Red Bulls on edge with Minnesota visiting
- Revolution host NYC FC hoping to extend home win streak
- FC Dallas, Portland enter match following differing results
- Mexico has to solve 2 major questions before the World Cup
- Juventus to play in MLS All-Star Game in Atlanta on Aug. 1
- Weah debut with PSG and possibly US follows dad's election
- Defending Cyprus champion APOEL lets coach go after 8 months
SANDY, Utah (AP) Diego Rossi scored two goals on Saturday and Los Angeles FC stayed undefeated as a franchise with a 5-1 rout of Real Salt Lake.
LAFC (2-0-0) secured the lead with a quick pair of first-half goals. Rossi evened it at 1-all in the 30th minute, slipping behind defender Demar Phillips, settling Marco Urena's pass and slotting a right-footed shot over Nick Rimando's outstretched leg. Latif Blessing made it 2-1 for LAFC in the 33rd, finishing a three-pass combo in the area with a tap-in.
Benny Feilhaber sent a right-footed shot through Rimando's legs in the 47th minute. Rossi scored on a breakaway in the 81st, his third goal of the season, and Carlos Vela capped the scoring with a right-footed chip from the top of the area five minutes later.
Joao Plata gave RSL (0-1-1) the early lead in the 20th minute with a follow-up volley on his own saved penalty attempt.
Real Salt Lake conceded five goals at home for the first time in franchise history.
Updated March 10, 2018