Dynamo wins 2-1 on Sporting KC's own goal in 77nd minute
European Football Headlines
- Dempsey scores first goal of season, Sounders tie Fire, 1-1
- Hoesen, Tarbell help 'Quakes to 1-1 tie with Real Salt Lake
- Smith's stoppage-time goal helps Rapids snap skid
- Shelton's late goal helps Sporting KC beat Dynamo 3-2
- Piatti, own goal help Impact beat Orlando City 2-0
- Wright-Phillips, Robles help Red Bulls beat FC Dallas
- Dockal scores twice as Union beat Whitecaps 4-0, snap skid
- Sweden has a lot to be upset about after last-minute loss
- Correction: WCup-Panama-Henriquez story
- The Latest: England-Panama game could decide World Cup group
HOUSTON (AP) Tomas Martinez scored in the 63rd minute and his free kick in the 77th led to an own goal, helping the Houston Dynamo beat Sporting Kansas City 2-1 on Wednesday night.
Houston (12-10-10) moved within one point of a third-place tie with Portland and Seattle. Second-place Sporting KC (12-8-12) needed at least a draw to secure a playoff spot.
Only Vancouver, three points ahead of Sporting KC, has secured a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Martinez tied it at 1 by volleying home a deflected cross and the Dynamo took the lead on Erik Palmer-Brown's own goal. Mart�nez's free kick was placed inside the 6-yard box and Palmer-Brown knocked it in with his right leg.
Jimmy Medranda scored for Sporting KC in the 33rd minute. Saad Abdul-Salaam dribbled along the right side of the 18-yard box and found Medranda trailing the play for a left-footed finish from distance.
Seth Sinovic had an open shot pushed away by Houston goalkeeper Tyler Deric in the third minute of second-half stoppage time.
The game was pushed back from Aug. 26 due to Hurricane Harvey. The teams will play again on Sunday.
Updated October 11, 2017