Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Benfica routs Boavista 4-0 to take lead in Portugal
- Barcelona wins at Eibar 2-0 before trip to Chelsea in CL
- More wonder from Under: Turkey winger fires Roma's revival
- Man United draws Brighton in FA Cup quarterfinals
- PSG returns to French league comfort zone with 5-2 home win
- Mourinho: VAR calls must be "perfect"
- Rodchenkov: Gov't order to protect doped Russian footballers
- PAOK beats Lamia 2-0 and keeps Greek league lead
- Lewandowski rescues late 2-1 win for Bayern in Wolfsburg
- Southampton pile on misery for West Brom in FA Cup
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017