Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Dempsey scores first goal of season, Sounders tie Fire, 1-1
- Hoesen, Tarbell help 'Quakes to 1-1 tie with Real Salt Lake
- Smith's stoppage-time goal helps Rapids snap skid
- Shelton's late goal helps Sporting KC beat Dynamo 3-2
- Piatti, own goal help Impact beat Orlando City 2-0
- Wright-Phillips, Robles help Red Bulls beat FC Dallas
- Dockal scores twice as Union beat Whitecaps 4-0, snap skid
- Sweden has a lot to be upset about after last-minute loss
- Correction: WCup-Panama-Henriquez story
- The Latest: England-Panama game could decide World Cup group
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017