Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- La Liga deal for TV rights delayed by Catalonia uncertainty
- Liverpool thrashes Maribor 7-0 in Champions League
- City earns battling 2-1 win over Napoli in Champions League
- Tottenham holds Real Madrid to 1-1 in Champions League
- Dortmund's Champions League hopes dented in Nicosia draw
- Spurs holds Madrid, Liverpool wins big in Champions League
- Tosun scores 2 as Besiktas beats Monaco in Champions League
- Spartak storms to 5-1 win over Sevilla in Champions League
- Leipzig beats Porto 3-2 for its 1st Champions League win
- US to face England in Under-17 World Cup quarterfinals
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017