Elis, Sanchez lift Dynamo past Quakes, into tie for first
European Football Headlines
- MLS has full slate of games at the same time on Decision Day
- Neymar off as Cavani rescues PSG with late goal in 2-2 draw
- Asensio leads Madrid past Eibar, Atletico ends slump
- Bas Dost scores hat trick as Sporting thrashes Chaves 5-1
- Bonucci's red card could end up costing Montella his job
- Mewis scores twice and US women beat South Korea 6-0
- Olympiakos beats Greek leader PAOK 1-0 to trail by 1 point
- Cologne, Bremen's wait for 1st Bundesliga win continues
- Kane scores twice as Tottenham beats Liverpool 4-1 in PL
- Brazil comes from behind to beat Germany in quarterfinals
HOUSTON (AP) Alberth Elis and Vicente Sanchez each had a goal and an assist, and the Houston Dynamo blanked the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 on Saturday night.
Houston (10-7-7) joined Seattle and Sporting Kansas City at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 9-0-3 at home.
Elis got his head on a corner kick by Boniek Garc�a to open the scoring with his seventh goal in the 21st minute. It was the Dynamos' league-leading 17th goal off a set piece.
Elis helped ice the game in the 86th minute with a nifty touch to get around a defender before Sanchez beat his defender and the goalkeeper to the centering pass for his first goal.
Sanchez gathered a loose ball just before it crossed the end line and centered it to Mauro Manotas for his eighth goal in stoppage time.
Tyler Deric had three saves for his fourth shutout.
San Jose (9-10-5) has lost five straight on the road and remains one point up on Vancouver for the final playoff spot.
Updated August 12, 2017