Elis, Sanchez lift Dynamo past Quakes, into tie for first
European Football Headlines
- Barcelona sues Neymar for $10M signing bonus
- Surging Timbers hope to avoid trap vs. Rapids
- San Jose, Real Salt Lake battle for playoff position
- Jedinak cut from Australia squad for World Cup qualifiers
- Silva setback: Watford loses in cup to 2nd-tier Bristol City
- Champions League: In-demand Insigne nets as Napoli advances
- Shorthanded Galaxy set to visit Crew
- Texas Derby holds added significance for Dynamo, FC Dallas
- Union face tough opponent in MLS-best Toronto FC
- Shanghai beats Guangzhou in Asian CL quarterfinal first leg
HOUSTON (AP) Alberth Elis and Vicente Sanchez each had a goal and an assist, and the Houston Dynamo blanked the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 on Saturday night.
Houston (10-7-7) joined Seattle and Sporting Kansas City at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 9-0-3 at home.
Elis got his head on a corner kick by Boniek Garc�a to open the scoring with his seventh goal in the 21st minute. It was the Dynamos' league-leading 17th goal off a set piece.
Elis helped ice the game in the 86th minute with a nifty touch to get around a defender before Sanchez beat his defender and the goalkeeper to the centering pass for his first goal.
Sanchez gathered a loose ball just before it crossed the end line and centered it to Mauro Manotas for his eighth goal in stoppage time.
Tyler Deric had three saves for his fourth shutout.
San Jose (9-10-5) has lost five straight on the road and remains one point up on Vancouver for the final playoff spot.
Updated August 12, 2017