Elis, Sanchez lift Dynamo past Quakes, into tie for first
European Football Headlines
- Kim Shin-wook scores twice, South Korea wins EAFF E-1 title
- FIFA suspends Brazilian soccer president Marco Polo del Nero
- Berizzo returns to coach Sevilla after treating tumor
- Raffael leads 'Gladbach to 4th place with win over Hamburg
- Ligue 1 titleholder Monaco wins 4-0 at sorry Saint-Etienne
- South American football ex-boss Figueredo is released
- France will host Ireland in World Cup on May 28 in Paris
- Lille fires coach Bielsa after suspended him last month
- FIFA worried about government interference in Spain
- UEFA rejects AC Milan bid for deal over financial fair play
HOUSTON (AP) Alberth Elis and Vicente Sanchez each had a goal and an assist, and the Houston Dynamo blanked the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 on Saturday night.
Houston (10-7-7) joined Seattle and Sporting Kansas City at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 9-0-3 at home.
Elis got his head on a corner kick by Boniek Garc�a to open the scoring with his seventh goal in the 21st minute. It was the Dynamos' league-leading 17th goal off a set piece.
Elis helped ice the game in the 86th minute with a nifty touch to get around a defender before Sanchez beat his defender and the goalkeeper to the centering pass for his first goal.
Sanchez gathered a loose ball just before it crossed the end line and centered it to Mauro Manotas for his eighth goal in stoppage time.
Tyler Deric had three saves for his fourth shutout.
San Jose (9-10-5) has lost five straight on the road and remains one point up on Vancouver for the final playoff spot.
Updated August 12, 2017