Davis helps Red Bulls rally past Orlando City 3-1
European Football Headlines
- Barcelona sues Neymar for $10M signing bonus
- Surging Timbers hope to avoid trap vs. Rapids
- San Jose, Real Salt Lake battle for playoff position
- Jedinak cut from Australia squad for World Cup qualifiers
- Silva setback: Watford loses in cup to 2nd-tier Bristol City
- Champions League: In-demand Insigne nets as Napoli advances
- Shorthanded Galaxy set to visit Crew
- Texas Derby holds added significance for Dynamo, FC Dallas
- Union face tough opponent in MLS-best Toronto FC
- Shanghai beats Guangzhou in Asian CL quarterfinal first leg
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Sean Davis assisted on the go-ahead goal and added an insurance goal in the 80th minute to lift the New York Red Bulls to a contentious 3-1 win over Orlando City on Saturday night.
There were four yellow cards and Orlando's Kaka was given a red card in the seventh minute of stoppage time.
Davis set up the go-ahead goal in the 60th minute, slotting the ball forward to Alex Muyl with Bradley Wright-Phillips beating goalkeeper Joe Bendik to the spot on the centering pass for the redirect and his 14th goal. Davis then took a throw-in from Kemar Lawrence, tapped it to his right and curled perfect shot from distance in the 80th minute.
Carlos Rivas, with an assist from Kaka, put Orlando up 1-0 with his fifth goal in the 18th minute but an own goal by Leo Pereira leveled the game in the 30th minute.
The Red Bull (12-9-2) have scored 12 goals and allowed just two in their last three home games after a slow start. Orlando City (8-10-6) has won only twice in its last 17 games.
Updated August 12, 2017