Silva helps Real Salt Lake run unbeaten streak to 6
European Football Headlines
- Jesse Lingard's goal gives England 1-0 win over Netherlands
- France's poor defending exposed again as Colombia wins 3-2
- Without Messi, Argentina beats Italy 2-0 in friendly
- 'Welcome to Zlatan': Ibrahimovic makes play for LA's heart
- Ronaldo scores twice in added time, Portugal beats Egypt 2-1
- Germany, Spain both impress in 1-1 World Cup warm-up draw
- NWSL opening sixth season on Saturday
- Dutch police detain 90 England supporters for violence
- Former England coach threatened female official with pole
- Australia World Cup preparations off to bad start in Norway
WASHINGTON (AP) Luis Silva scored with a sudden strike in the 64th minute to lift Real Salt Lake to a 1-0 victory over D.C. United on Sunday night in a match that was carried over from Saturday.
The game was halted in the 29th minute on Saturday because of a severe thunderstorm that put the field under water.
Silva intercepted a soft clearing pass near the top of the box and caught the ball on the bounce, volleying it into the far top corner for his second goal of the season to help RSL continue its second-half playoff push. Salt Lake (8-12-5) has three wins and three ties in its last six games and has moved with three points of sixth place in the Western Conference with its first win in 11 matches at RFK Stadium since 2005.
Nick Rimando had three saves for his sixth shutout.
D.C. United (5-15-4) has been blanked a league-high six times at home.
Updated August 13, 2017