Fernandes scores 3 goals, Sporting KC beats Sounders 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Arsenal lands $280M+ Emirates shirt sponsorship extension
- Messi aims to score against Chelsea at 9th attempt
- Porto routs Rio Ave 5-0 to restore lead in Portugal
- Real Madrid defender Marcelo injured at Betis
- Thauvin scores again as 3rd-placed Marseille beats Bordeaux
- Atletico stays in touch with Barca, Madrid wins 5-3 at Betis
- AEK beats Xanthi 4-0, keeps 2nd place in Greek league
- Juve win is costly with Higuain, Bernardeschi injuries
- Rochdale scores late vs Spurs to set up Wembley replay
- Reus scores winner for Dortmund at 'Gladbach
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) Gerso Fernandes scored three second-half goals in 13 minutes, Tim Melia had his seventh shutout and Sporting Kansas City beat the Seattle Sounders 3-0 on Wednesday night for sole possession of first place in the Western Conference.
Kansas City (6-2-4) is undefeated in 15 straight home games. Seattle (2-5-4) lost its third straight.
Fernandes is the first Sporting KC player with a hat trick since Birahim Diop in 2010. In the 56th minute, Fernandes had a deflected corner kick fall to his feet and he slotted it inside the near post. Two minutes later, Fernandes one-touched a shot off the post and he put it home after blocking a clearance attempt. In the 69th, Graham Zusi found space along the edge of the 18-yard box and found an open Fernandes at the penalty spot.
Melia kept it scoreless in the first half with two quality saves just before halftime. He stayed low to kick away Alvaro Fernandez's breakaway shot in the 45th and on the ensuing corner kick, Melia dove to his left to deny Cristian Roldan's shot from distance.
Updated May 17, 2017