Nemanja Nikolic scores twice, Fire beat Rapids 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Herrera sends Man United into FA Cup final with win vs Spurs
- Roma beats Spal 3-0 ahead of Liverpool semi in CL
- Domenech, Matthaeus among coaches to apply for Cameroon job
- Valencia held again in Spanish league, ties Celta Vigo 1-1
- Marseille crushes Lille 5-1 to keep pressure on Monaco
- Crystal Palace edges closer to survival with draw at Watford
- Hamburger SV keeps alive survival hopes in Bundesliga
- Salah shares scoring record as Liverpool held by West Brom
- UEFA: Europa League trophy not damaged after being stolen
- Malawi under-20 player dies in Portugal of suspected malaria
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic scored two goals, Michael de Leeuw had two assists and the Chicago Fire beat the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight home victory.
Nikolic had his ninth and 10th goals of the season to break a tie with Houston's Eric Torres for the MLS lead. The Fire (5-3-3) are unbeaten in their last nine at home and hold a 21-8 scoring advantage during that span.
Nikolic opened the scoring in the 15th minute, putting through a header from the penalty spot. David Accam then found net for fifth time, burying a loose ball in the 57th minute. Nikolic added the exclamation point in the 74th minute, taking advantage of de Leeuw's fast-break opportunity. De Leeuw pushed the ball behind the Colorado defense, then found a streaking Nikolic for the goal.
Shkelzen Gashi had an opportunity for the Rapids (2-7-1) in the 72nd minute, but his shot was saved by Matt Lampson.
Updated May 17, 2017