Nemanja Nikolic scores twice, Fire beat Rapids 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Arsenal lands $280M+ Emirates shirt sponsorship extension
- Messi aims to score against Chelsea at 9th attempt
- Porto routs Rio Ave 5-0 to restore lead in Portugal
- Real Madrid defender Marcelo injured at Betis
- Thauvin scores again as 3rd-placed Marseille beats Bordeaux
- Atletico stays in touch with Barca, Madrid wins 5-3 at Betis
- AEK beats Xanthi 4-0, keeps 2nd place in Greek league
- Juve win is costly with Higuain, Bernardeschi injuries
- Rochdale scores late vs Spurs to set up Wembley replay
- Reus scores winner for Dortmund at 'Gladbach
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic scored two goals, Michael de Leeuw had two assists and the Chicago Fire beat the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight home victory.
Nikolic had his ninth and 10th goals of the season to break a tie with Houston's Eric Torres for the MLS lead. The Fire (5-3-3) are unbeaten in their last nine at home and hold a 21-8 scoring advantage during that span.
Nikolic opened the scoring in the 15th minute, putting through a header from the penalty spot. David Accam then found net for fifth time, burying a loose ball in the 57th minute. Nikolic added the exclamation point in the 74th minute, taking advantage of de Leeuw's fast-break opportunity. De Leeuw pushed the ball behind the Colorado defense, then found a streaking Nikolic for the goal.
Shkelzen Gashi had an opportunity for the Rapids (2-7-1) in the 72nd minute, but his shot was saved by Matt Lampson.
Updated May 17, 2017