Nemanja Nikolic scores twice, Fire beat Rapids 3-0
European Football Headlines
- St. Petersburg arena hurries to lay new field for Confed Cup
- Mainz parts ways with coach Schmidt after difficult season
- Nonstop celebrations for Madrid after winning league title
- US earns late point against Ecuador at U20 World Cup
- Russia loses injured Dzagoev, Fernandes ahead of Confed Cup
- Ajax team aims to relive past glories in Europa League final
- Man United's season hinges on winning Europa League final
- Keisuke Honda says he will leave AC Milan
- Kroenke says Arsenal not for sale after Usmanov bid
- Barcelona and the Spanish league that got away
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic scored two goals, Michael de Leeuw had two assists and the Chicago Fire beat the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight home victory.
Nikolic had his ninth and 10th goals of the season to break a tie with Houston's Eric Torres for the MLS lead. The Fire (5-3-3) are unbeaten in their last nine at home and hold a 21-8 scoring advantage during that span.
Nikolic opened the scoring in the 15th minute, putting through a header from the penalty spot. David Accam then found net for fifth time, burying a loose ball in the 57th minute. Nikolic added the exclamation point in the 74th minute, taking advantage of de Leeuw's fast-break opportunity. De Leeuw pushed the ball behind the Colorado defense, then found a streaking Nikolic for the goal.
Shkelzen Gashi had an opportunity for the Rapids (2-7-1) in the 72nd minute, but his shot was saved by Matt Lampson.
Updated May 17, 2017