Nemanja Nikolic scores twice, Fire beat Rapids 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Chelsea draws 3-3 against Roma, Juventus beats Sporting
- Man United beats Benfica after young goalkeeper's mistake
- Juventus labors to beat Sporting 2-1 in Champions League
- FIFA probe: Al-Khelaifi confirms his presence in Switzerland
- DC United bid farewell to RFK, and forgettable season
- Messi joins Ronaldo in exclusive 100-goal club in Europe
- Atletico in trouble after being held by Qarabag to 0-0 draw
- Hazard comes to Chelsea's rescue vs Roma but Conte unhappy
- Bayern beats Celtic 3-0 on Heynckes' Champions League return
- PSG beats Anderlecht 4-0 to keep lead in Group B
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic scored two goals, Michael de Leeuw had two assists and the Chicago Fire beat the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight home victory.
Nikolic had his ninth and 10th goals of the season to break a tie with Houston's Eric Torres for the MLS lead. The Fire (5-3-3) are unbeaten in their last nine at home and hold a 21-8 scoring advantage during that span.
Nikolic opened the scoring in the 15th minute, putting through a header from the penalty spot. David Accam then found net for fifth time, burying a loose ball in the 57th minute. Nikolic added the exclamation point in the 74th minute, taking advantage of de Leeuw's fast-break opportunity. De Leeuw pushed the ball behind the Colorado defense, then found a streaking Nikolic for the goal.
Shkelzen Gashi had an opportunity for the Rapids (2-7-1) in the 72nd minute, but his shot was saved by Matt Lampson.
Updated May 17, 2017