Nemanja Nikolic scores twice, Fire beat Rapids 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Man United thrashes Swansea in 2nd straight 4-0 win
- Kashima beats Shimizu S-Pulse 1-0 to keep lead in J-League
- Valeri scores, Timbers beat the Red Bulls 2-0
- Fire attempt to slow league-leading Toronto FC
- First-place Dynamo seek first win ever in Vancouver
- Colorado interim coach Cooke makes debut vs. D.C. United
- Sporting KC puts home mark on line vs. FC Dallas
- Red-hot Impact to test mettle of surging Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes aim to add to Union's road woes
- Newcastle United-Huddersfield Town Preview
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic scored two goals, Michael de Leeuw had two assists and the Chicago Fire beat the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight home victory.
Nikolic had his ninth and 10th goals of the season to break a tie with Houston's Eric Torres for the MLS lead. The Fire (5-3-3) are unbeaten in their last nine at home and hold a 21-8 scoring advantage during that span.
Nikolic opened the scoring in the 15th minute, putting through a header from the penalty spot. David Accam then found net for fifth time, burying a loose ball in the 57th minute. Nikolic added the exclamation point in the 74th minute, taking advantage of de Leeuw's fast-break opportunity. De Leeuw pushed the ball behind the Colorado defense, then found a streaking Nikolic for the goal.
Shkelzen Gashi had an opportunity for the Rapids (2-7-1) in the 72nd minute, but his shot was saved by Matt Lampson.
Updated May 17, 2017